Through NSTA, you’ll find leading resources for excellence in teaching and learning and experience growth through robust professional development. Plus you’ll meet colleagues across all science disciplines, all grade bands and teaching stages, from the newest teacher to the veteran administrator, who share a passion for science education.
You asked for it—now you’ve got it! In a focus group at a recent NSTA convention, teachers of prekindergarten through second grade clamored for help. They do want easy-to-do science activities they can use for everyday teaching. But they don’t want to be forced to adapt material meant for older children. So here’s the solution. Start Young! offers a wealth of simple educational activities designed to use right away with even the littlest scientists. The book includes a chapter of helpful background on the latest thinking about effective ways to introduce science in early childhood. But the bulk of the book is two dozen articles compiled from Science & Children, NSTA’s award-winning journal for elementary school teachers. Among the topics:
• Playful science activities for young children
• The science and mathematics of building structures
• Planning a Rock Day
• What makes miniature sleds go, go, go
• Figuring out how big is big and how big is small
• Learning about birds, flight, ponds, and the environment
• Creating science centers for all students
Everyone who works with young children knows how eager they are to see, smell, hear, and touch the world around them. Encourage that natural curiosity while laying a foundation for a lifetime of learning about science. Start Young! is the age-appropriate resource to help you start them off right.
Quick Reference Chart
Early Learning and Science
• Start Young!
• Kids Questioning Kids: “Experts Sharing”
• What the Real Experts Say
• How Big is Big? How Small Is Small
• The Bird
• Gravitating Toward Reggio
• Spideriffic Learning Tools
• It’s a Frog’s Life
• Science Centers for All
• Project Reptile!
• A Science Night of Fun
• First Flight
• Tracking Through the Tulips
• The Science and Mathematics of Building Structures
• Discovery Central
• Ladybugs Across the Curriculum
• Miniature Sleds, Go, Go, Go!
• Journey Into the Five Senses
• Drawing on Student Understanding
• The Tree of Life
• Students’ Ideas About Plants
• Let’s Try Action Research!
• Playful Activities for Young Children
Nonmember Price: $32.95Member Price: $8.2375
Nonmember Price: $35.95Member Price: $28.76
Nonmember Price: $22.95Member Price: $9.18
$4.46 - Nonmembers