Through NSTA, you'll find leading resources for excellence in teaching and learning and experience growth through robust professional development. Plus you'll meet colleagues across all science disciplines, all grade bands and teaching stages, from the newest teacher to the veteran administrator, who share a passion for science education.
Give your school's science instruction the advantage of a powerful national network.
Since the release of the first draft of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), NSTA has been at the forefront in promoting the standards and helping science educators become familiar with and learn to navigate this exciting but complex document. Later, when the final version was released and states began adopting the standards, NSTA started to develop resources that would assist educators with their implementation.
Along the way, NSTA learned that even the simplest of resources, like a one-page cheat sheet, can be extremely useful. Many of those tools are collected here, including
• a two-page “cheat sheet” that describes the practices, core ideas, and crosscutting concepts that make up the three dimensions described in A Framework for K–12 Science Education;
• an “Inside the Box” graphic that spells out all of the individual sections of text that appear on a page of the NGSS;
• a Venn diagram comparing the practices in NGSS, Common Core State Standards, Mathematics, and Common Core State Standards, English Language Arts; and
• matrices showing how the NGSS are organized by topic and disciplinary core idea.
This guide also provides the appropriate performance expectations; disciplinary core ideas; practices; crosscutting concepts; connections to engineering, technology, and applications of science; and connections to nature of science. It is designed to be used with the NGSS.
The NSTA Quick-Reference Guides to the NGSS are also available in grade-specific versions—one each for elementary and middle school—plus a comprehensive K-12 edition. The four Quick-Reference Guides are indispensable to science teachers at all levels, as well as to administrators, curriculum developers, and teacher educators.
Chapter 1: Basics of NGSS
• Three Dimensions of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
• Practices Descriptions From Framework
• Crosscutting Concepts Descriptions From Framework
• A Look at the Next Generation Science Standards
• Inside the NGSS Box
• NGSS Matrix Organized by Topic and Disciplinary Core Ideas
• Venn Diagram of Practices in Common Core State Standards, Math, Common Core State Standards,ELA, and NGSS
Chapter 2: K–12 Progressions
• Science and Engineering Practices
• Crosscutting Concepts
• Disciplinary Core Ideas in Life Science
• Disciplinary Core Ideas in Earth and Space Science
• Disciplinary Core Ideas in Physical Science
• Disciplinary Core Ideas in Engineering Design
• Understandings About the Nature of Science
• Connections to Engineering, Technology, and Applications of Science
Chapter 3: Focus on High School
• Practices for High School
• Crosscutting Concepts and Connections to Engineering, Technology, and Applications of Science for High School
• Connections to Nature of Science for High School
• Performance Expectations (PEs) and Disciplinary Core Ideas (DCIs) for High School Life Science
• Performance Expectations (PEs) and Disciplinary Core Ideas (DCIs) for High School Earth Science
• Performance Expectations (PEs) and Disciplinary Core Ideas (DCIs) for High School Physical Science
• Performance Expectations (PEs) and Disciplinary Core Ideas (DCIs) for High School Engineering Design
Nonmember Price: $16.95Member Price: $13.56
Nonmember Price: $19.95Member Price: $15.96
Nonmember Price: $47.95Member Price: $38.36
$16.95 - Nonmembers