Through NSTA, you’ll find leading resources for excellence in teaching and learning and experience growth through robust professional development. Plus you’ll meet colleagues across all science disciplines, all grade bands and teaching stages, from the newest teacher to the veteran administrator, who share a passion for science education.
New in 2019!What if you could challenge your fifth graders to design rainwater recycling systems to provide water for a fictional community garden? With this volume in the STEM Road Map Curriculum Series, you can!
Rainwater Analysis outlines a journey that will steer your students toward authentic problem solving while grounding them in integrated STEM disciplines. As are the other volumes in this series, this book is designed to meet the growing need to infuse real-world learning into K–12 classrooms.
The book is an interdisciplinary module that uses project- and problem-based learning. Using their own school building and grounds as a design lab, student teams will be challenged to develop rainwater collection and delivery systems. They will draw on Earth and environmental science, mathematics, the engineering design process, and English language arts to do the following:
• Create a rain gauge, measure rainfall, and analyze rainwater data to determine the best location for a water collection system.
• Explore volume calculations in real-world scenarios and use a spreadsheet to conduct repetitive volume calculations.
• Identify how water is distributed throughout the Earth’s four spheres and research irrigation and water collection systems used in agriculture.
• Study poetry, biographical texts, and persuasive writing related to module topics.
• Present a proposal for a rainwater collection and storage system, including a message about watershed conservation for their local community and a public service advertising campaign.
The STEM Road Map Curriculum Series is anchored in the Next Generation Science Standards, the Common Core State Standards, and the Framework for 21st Century Learning. In-depth and flexible, Rainwater Analysis can be used as a whole unit or in part to meet the needs of districts, schools, and teachers who are charting a course toward an integrated STEM approach
Nonmember Price: $29.95Member Price: $23.96
Nonmember Price: $37.95Member Price: $30.36
Nonmember Price: $31.95Member Price: $25.56
Nonmember Price: $47.95Member Price: $38.36
$29.95 - Nonmembers