Through NSTA, you'll find leading resources for excellence in teaching and learning and experience growth through robust professional development. Plus you'll meet colleagues across all science disciplines, all grade bands and teaching stages, from the newest teacher to the veteran administrator, who share a passion for science education.
Give your school's science instruction the advantage of a powerful national network.
Interactive notebooks allow students to record and analyze observations, reflect on their learning, and self-assess their work. Teaching Science With Interactive Notebooks gives educators a step-by-step process for introducing interactive notebooks to students and using notebooks to develop students' communication skills, cognitive organization skills, and sense of responsibility for their own learning.
Packed with examples from actual student notebooks, this detailed guide explains the unique features that make interactive notebooks more effective tools than conventional notebooks for science classrooms. This resource:
• Describes the nuts and bolts of implementing interactive notebooks, including execution, time management, and grading
• Uses the 5E Learning Cycle (engage, explore, elaborate, extend, evaluate) as the framework for science instruction
• Emphasizes the importance of writing in science and provides strategies for modeling effective writing
• Explores strategies to encourage collaborative student inquiry and foster whole-class discussions
By implementing interactive notebooks in your classroom, you can gain deeper insight into each student's understanding, learning progress, and thinking!
About the Author
2. Organizing Notebooks for Learning
3. Gaining Student Buy In and Ownership
4. Using Notebooks During Investigations
5. Getting Started: The First Three Days
6. Using the Notebooks: Days Four to Seven
7. Learning Through Writing
8. Learning Through Discussion
Resource A: Reproducibles
Resource B: Crosscurricular Connections
References and Further Reading
Nonmember Price: $23.75Member Price: $21.36
Nonmember Price: $33.95Member Price: $30.56
Nonmember Price: $25.95Member Price: $20.76
Nonmember Price: $31.95Member Price: $25.56
I purchased this book last year before starting with interactive notebooks (INBs) for the first time. This book helped me understand how to structure the INB as well as important activities that students should be completing each unit. It has made the set-up very easy and provided lots of great resources and ideas to get me started this year!
Carrie S (Duluth, GA)
$35.95 - Nonmembers