Through NSTA, you’ll find leading resources for excellence in teaching and learning and experience growth through robust professional development. Plus you’ll meet colleagues across all science disciplines, all grade bands and teaching stages, from the newest teacher to the veteran administrator, who share a passion for science education.
Like a search engine for science teachers, How to... Weave the Web into K-8 Science is your custom-made guide to bringing the best of the Internet into your classroom. Author David Wetzel has done the work of locating online materials for you. The book offers resources for Web-based science teaching and learning plus online technical help for both beginners and experienced computer users. You even get instructions for developing your own Web page. In three concise chapters, this book covers:
§ The rationale behind using Web-based resources for science teaching, including how they support national and state standards, and tips for making the most of the Internet.
§ Practical strategies you can put to work immediately. Topics include one-computer and multi-computer classrooms; wireless and hand-held computers; Web-based learning centers and lessons; WebQuests; virtual tours, labs, and field trips; and multimedia presentations.
§ A wealth of Internet resources, including search engines, directories, and NSTA's own SciLinks and Webwatchers. Of special interest is an extensive section of Web-based resources listed by category and science-content area.
Best of all, in a special companion Web site, you'll find updated Web addresses as well as new resources that came out after this book was printed.
About the Author
Internet Basics for the Science Classroom
• Advantages of Using Web-Based Resources
• How Web-Based Resources Support Inquiry
• Where Can I Search Everything on the Internet?
• How Do I Find the Right Websites for Teaching Science?
• How Do Web-Based Resources Support National and State Science Standards?
Technology in the Classroom
• Working With What You Have
• One-Computer Classrooms
• Multicomputer Classrooms
• Mobile Computer Labs
• Wireless Laptops
• Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs)
• Using the Technology to Teach
• Web-Based Learning Centers
• Web-Based Lessons
• Virtual Field Trips
• Virtual Labs
• Real-Time Databases and Analysis
• Problem Solving—Case Studies/Projects
• Multimedia Presentations—Teachers and Students
In the Classroom: Understanding Goes Up With Online Roller Coaster
Finding the Right Internet Resources
• Search Engines
• Metasearch Engines
• In the Classroom: A Quick Search Yields Information
• Webwatchers Science Guide
• Technical Support Websites
• A Collection of Science-Teaching Websites
• Earth and Space Science
• Environment and Ecology
• Inquiry and the Nature of Science
• Life Science
• Multicultural and Gender
• Physical Science
• Web Cams
Appendix A—Online Resources
Appendix B—Developing Your Own Web Page
Nonmember Price: $30.95Member Price: $21.665
Nonmember Price: $12.95Member Price: $10.36
Nonmember Price: $11.95Member Price: $9.56
Nonmember Price: $22.95Member Price: $6.885
$9.95 - Nonmembers